I am working to bring a revolutionary solution to the
automobile parking challenges we have in
Somerville, Massachusetts, the most densely populated city
in the Northeast US, with over 80,000 people in about 4 square
miles. † We are two to four miles from Boston's downtown
financial district, MIT and Harvard Square.
"Somerville was completely built out in the late 1800s,
before the availability of the automobile and
when trolleys provided excellent transportation
to Boston and the surrounding area", I was told by
Stephen Mackey, President/CEO of the
Somerville Chamber of Commerce.
Let's set an example for the region!
Now's the time, with Somerville's new leadership that
embraces effective innovation.
"...Any motorist seeking a parking space in the Davis Square
area knows that 2, 3, 4 or 5 trips around the periphery of
Davis Square is common before a parking space is located...",
according to Terry Smith of Somerville's Traffic and
Parking Department (in 2005 comments before the Somerville
Planning Board on a Davis Square development project).
"...recent research shows, that over 50% of the traffic in
typical downtowns is simply on the road, cruising around
the block searching for vacant convenient parking spaces...",
according to Don H. Pickrell, Chief Economist at DOT, Volpe
Institute, Cambridge, MIT (issued in the Spring edition of
ULIís "Smart Growth"† program† 1999).
What a terrible waste!
- waste of people's valuable time
- loss of business - avoidance of the area
- delivery delays
- competiton for a space - sometimes hostile
- pollution from cars' exhausts
Apply the best lessons from automated warehouses with
their efficiency, safety, redundancy and a well
designed, highly usable control system. † Automated parking has been
widely successful in Europe and Asia for over fifty years,
with simple, safe, reliable and efficient service! †
From a driver's perspective:
To learn more, please see:
- safe parking - your car is stored inaccessibly to
others to drive or pilfer
- personal safety - you no longer need to walk
though parking facilities, day or night
- efficiency - your car is left off and retrieved in a
- weather protection - your car is stored in an enclosed
building system - never need to dig it out again
From a facility owner and operator's perspective:
- reliability through redundancy - there is
multiple redundancy of every function including
on-site power generation
- every direction of motion: in-out, left-right and
up-down have multiple, independently moving components
- remote diagnosis and control - every car's location
and every part of the mechanism can be seen and
controlled by remote support staff 7 x 24 x 365.
- quality - all motors, controls and computer systems
are from General Electric FANUC